Take the Sweater Dress to a New Level at the Clark Handicap
Take the Sweater Dress to a New Level at the 2013 Clark Handicap
With temperatures in the 40s you’re going to want to bundle up at this year’s 139th running of the Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY on Friday, November 29, 2013. But just because you need to be warm doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style. Try a sweater dress.
A couple of weeks ago, the sweater trend was highlighted, but this trend extends beyond sweaters as tops and this year sweater dresses have made a comeback. The best part is that there is such a wide variety of sweater dresses. They come in all different price points and shapes, and just because sweater dresses are cozy, doesn’t mean that they are not tres chic! Sweater dresses have often been thought of as weekend casual wear but the new crop of sweater dresses have moved on up and can be ultra-glamorous.
Check out how Natalie Portman (pictured right) made her sweater dress sexy and glam. Just make sure to avoid leggings and ballet flats, which are often worn with sweater dresses for a more relaxed casual look. If you need to wear tights for warmth, go ahead, but make sure they aren’t leggings and pair your tights with boots, booties, or a heel to keep the look sophisticated.
If you aren’t stick thin, don’t worry, sweater dresses have evolved. Sweater dresses of old were tight and showed every single flaw, but designers have broadened the shape and design of sweater dresses so that all shapes and sizes can enjoy the trend. Old Navy has plenty of low price point options and Victoria’s Secret practically specializes in sweater dresses with a broad range of styles.
Below are a five pictures and style choices that I think are especially great for the 2013 Clark Handicap at Churchill Downs.
1) Try this great cashmere dress with lace paneling. It’s perfect for pear shapes. The wide skirt hides things and the lace detail draws the eye upward away from your bottom half.
2) Try this contoured color-blocked sweater dress to give you some great curves or to show off an already hourglass figure.
3) If you want to show off flat abs and have more of a straight figure, try this drop waist sweater dress.
4) To show off great legs and to keep yourself especially warm, try this turtleneck fitted sweater dress.
5) If you would rather take your sweater dress look in more of a prim and proper direction then check out this great lady like sweater dress from Modcloth.
Complete your look by channeling a 70’s vibe with a wide brimmed felt hat and oversized sunglasses, just make sure your hat isn’t too floppy. You want it to have some structure to it to balance out the softness of the sweater dress. Check out the photo of Kim Kardashian for inspiration.
Like what you see? Shop the safe links above to find all of the track fashions by simply clicking the links!